To see a recent listing of clients Theresa has facilitated workshops, master classes, and/or delivered presentations on improvisation for, please click HERE
- “Theresa’s skill in facilitating this intensive demonstrated her deep understanding of improvisational forms and her unquestioned ability to lead actors of varying levels of experience and expertise through advanced theatrical and improvisational methods and theories. In addition to her skills and scholarship, Theresa brings a warm touch and an optimistic outlook to any endeavor she’s involved in. She inspires you to do better than your best, and supports you every step of the way through the process” ~ STEVE KAPLAN, comedy writing expert, author of The Hidden Tools of Comedy: The Serious Business of Being Funny
- “We hired Theresa to be part of the MBA Professional Development program because we wanted our students to step out of their comfort zones and push past their typically linear, analytical way of thinking. With a focus on storytelling, Theresa guided them through a series of exercises to help them think on their feet, be more open minded, and create a compelling narrative for themselves and others. The students enjoyed the opportunity to engage in a unique, high-energy format, and our staff saw them take initial steps in telling their stories in ways that would be interesting and meaningful to prospective employers in their fields. On a personal note, working with Theresa was a true pleasure. She pushed me to think more creatively about how we are developing and preparing our students, and we had a ton of fun in the process. It was easily the highlight of my semester!” ~ LAUREN KLENTAK, (former) Associate Director, MBA Professional Development, Chapman University
- “Theresa led an Impro for Scientists workshop in my upper-level chemistry course with the purpose of helping young, aspiring scientists learn how to effectively communicate science. She masterfully led the students through a series of exercises designed to cultivate the communication skills they will need in their careers, such as thinking on your feet, using simple language to explain complicated ideas, and reacting to your audience. Theresa crafted an open and safe environment that allowed the students to quickly open up beyond their comfort zone, have fun, and learn in the process. The students found the exercises to be extremely valuable tools in developing and practicing skills that they will use throughout their scientific careers” ~ DR. JERRY LaRUE, Assistant Professor, Schmid College of Science and Technology, Chapman University
- “I was consistently impressed with the level of sophistication of the shows Theresa produced. She worked with limited time and with limited resources. In spite of those challenges, every show topped the last. The shows were always original, created from group collaboration, and inspiring to watch. It never ceased to amaze me that she was able to cultivate such wonderful performances out of non-professional young adults. I think she has an amazing gift” ~ PATRICIA WHITCHER, Executive Producer (Godzilla, The Avengers, Thor, The Soloist, Dreamgirls, Memoirs of a Geisha), reflecting on Beach Kids on Broadway
- “My main job is to work with faculty on projects that utilize the community in their courses. Over the past year, the most successful of these courses was by far my collaboration with Theresa and her Impro for People Skills class. Her students teamed up with 4 local businesses and used their impro skills to come up with successful marketing schemes. The course was wildly successful with the local businesses even wanting to have the students continue their work with them after the course was finished. Working with Theresa was wonderful and seamless. She is genuinely passionate about her craft and focused on bringing the practice of improvisation into the community” ~ KELSEY B. McCOMAS, AmeriCorps VISTA, Community Based Learning Coordinator, Centre College
- “I’m pursing a career in International Business Relations…not acting. I can’t express how much I WASN’T expecting to gain anything more than a ‘fun experience’ from this improvisation class. I also can’t express how life-altering this class was and how useful it has been and will continue to be in my professional life! The techniques learned through this class, which are rooted in character development, benevolence, status shifts, and tenaciousness, have absolutely transformed my approach to the business world. They have made me a more understanding, fearless, creative, and humble person. This class taught me how to most effectively read and respond to others in all areas of life based on a better understanding of myself” ~ CHRISTIANNA PARELL, International Studies, Centre College, class of 2013
- “My time with Theresa, though short, was very inspiring. Theresa understands the value of multiple methods for effective theatre-making. In her Directing class, she skillfully combined improvisational practices into a wider context, and workshop exercises and techniques were backed up with texts from some of the world’s greatest theatre makers. Because professors often only give you their narrow perspective, Theresa’s classes were very important for me. For example, I now see impro as an effective tool to deal with text and blocking, and her direction provoked me to rethink what it means to be an interesting actor onstage” ~ TOM BRENNAN, actor, founding member of The Wardrobe Ensemble, U.K.